Monday, May 17, 2010

How Lydia Changed My Sister's Life

My sister Jamie is 3 1/2 years younger than me. We live about 15 minutes away from each other and probably hang out an average of twice a week. She got married a little over a year ago to one of my husband's oldest friends who happens to have two beautiful girls, ages 7 and 9, making her a stepmother. Unfortunately, we live in Florida and the girls live in Ohio, so we only get to see them a few times a year. She sent me the following email a few days ago, and I asked if I could share it with my readers...

I was driving today, and as I often do, I thought about the girls and how much I miss them. I cried a little, as I've been doing the past year upon confirmation that the girls are never moving... And then I thought about Lydia and how just going 3 days without seeing her makes me wanna cry.

With the girls, I never ever thought I'd be able to love any child as much as them. They have grown up with me. They're a huge part of what makes me who I am. But Lydia has taught me that there's a lot of love in my heart...more than I knew. I've fallen in love with her just as much as I did for the girls.

This is what was holding me back, truly, so long from avoiding the idea of kids. That's why I said I don't want babies. I was afraid I'd have a baby and torment it to be just like the girls (especially if it was a girl...kind of why I want a boy real bad). But I don't feel that way anymore. Lydia's got her own agenda. And one day maybe I'll have a baby with its own agenda too. That's what Lydia has taught me. I will miss her terribly this weekend when I go out of town, but I will bring her back a present :)

*This email definitely brought a tear to my eye!! What has the birth of your baby taught your family? Has anyone changed? Has it inspired anyone else in your family to have a baby?

Lydia and her aunt Jamie at the Girl's Strawberry Patch a few weekends ago :-)

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

This is so wonderful. Jamie is going to be a fantastic mama one day to her own little bundle of crying screaming joy :)

Z said...

Wow, that is awesome, but of course everyone knows what an awesome baby Lydia is so it only makes sense that she would have this effect :P

Z said...

;)

Huppie Mama said...

Thanks! Can't wait to meet baby Kahlan!! It's so awesome to think of our girls playing together one day :-)

Debbie said...

What a beautiful post! I so enjoy posts written about and full of love.

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila