Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Song Memories

by Carrie Wells, Ed.D.

As I am attempting to wait patiently for baby Bryce's arrival, I have been thinking a lot about other times in my life that led me to new and exciting adventures. I thought about how I identify with these times, besides just reflecting back or maybe looking at photos. I was in the car a week or two ago with my sister, and the Dave Matthews Band song "Crash Into Me" came on. This is not one of my favorite songs, as I have never been a huge Dave Matthews fan, but it is probably one of my most vivid, amazing song memories.



I moved to Gainesville and started at UF fall 1997. The University suggests that freshman move into dorms a week before classes start to adjust to campus life, learn where everything is located, and participate in silly social events. Coming from a household with parents who were somewhat over-protective, I definitely lived a life where I was used to having to ask permission for everything and frequently being denied that permission. But this was a new life, where I was free to come and go as I pleased, stay out as late as I wanted, leave my "home" for any reason. I remember leaving my dorm one day and just roaming around campus. I recall wearing black corduroy pants, a grey tank top, and this necklace I had with a metal nut on it. Oh, and my Converse One Stars. So 1997. As I was returning to my dorm, I saw two guys sitting on the steps to the entrance of a neighboring dorm. They were playing acoustic guitar together. I sat in front of them just to listen, and they played "Crash Into Me." They played a bunch of songs, but this is the one that stands out in my mind. That memory is just beautiful. It embodies all that I felt at that time - freedom, responsibility, promise, hope...knowing that the world was mine. I just had to find my place in it.

**********************************************************************

Richard and I got married April 30, 2005 in the Keys. The day before our wedding, a bunch of us headed down to our hotel (Lime Tree Bay in Islamorada) and hung out for the day. That night, we ate at this horrid seafood restaurant ("Got a bad clam") and went to Holiday Isle afterwards. They have an outdoor tiki bar area with some live music and a DJ. It was so nice to have all of our friends, new and old, together in one place to celebrate our marriage. Richard and I bought special outfits just for the night. Mine was an aqua tube top and white denim capris. I remember Richard and our friend Josh dancing to The Killers "Mr. Brightside" like a bunch of idiots, but it had me and my friend Mindy cracking up! This song always makes me smile for that reason.




So what are your song memories? I hope everyone has really special memories like these, and when you hear the songs, they just make you smile!

No comments:

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila